Friday, April 20, 2012

Birthday Bocas-Style!


            I turned 24 on March 16…and I had just gotten used to saying I was 23. My original plan was to be out of site in Panama City for a medical appointment before going to Farallon in Cocle for Group 69’s In-Service Training (IST). So, I hadn’t told many people in my community about my birthday. But, because of continued protests, the same ones that kept me in David for five days with the GAD Camp participants, Peace Corps told me that I should not leave my site. Let me clarify that we were not supposed to travel on the Interamericana Highway, but luckily, roadblocks can’t stop the boat that goes from my community to Bocas. J
            Kim, my closest PCV, and I celebrated my birthday on Bocas with the owners of Lula’s B&B, who were celebrating their wedding anniversary. In short, the day was very relaxing. I talked with Brad and my parents, and of course, I used internet to my heart’s content. For dinner we went to a restaurant that was hosting an event to promote awareness of lionfish, or rather awareness that you can eat lionfish. Throughout the Caribbean, the Bocas waters included, lionfish are a poisonous invasive species, but apparently they also make a nice ceviche.
            I had debated and debated with myself about how I should go about sharing my birthday with my community. I worried about too many people showing up and not having enough cake or sweets for them, and I also worried about buying too much and my community thinking that I have an excessive amount of money. In the end, right before leaving Isla Colon for my community, I bought the largest cake that the bakery had. I’d recommend looking at my Facebook photo album so you can decide for yourself how many people this cake should have served. For a Ngabe community they take dividing treats seriously. Mainly, I informed my host families and a few of my closer friends from the community that night that I was celebrating my birthday with cake. I would say that at least 30 people, including children, arrived at my house, and then we even sent out several plates of cake to other families. It worked out perfectly as a mini-surprise for them. You may even call it a reverse surprise birthday party. Whatever you call it, the celebration was perfect.
I should say that before any cake was even cut, everyone was given the opportunity to say a little word. Many stepped forward with well wishes and blessings. And, each person gave me a hug. How much better can it get? Well, the Panamanian tradition is to smear icing from the cake on the face of the birthday boy or girl. Knowing this tradition might happen, I nipped it in the bud. Knowing the very chistoso (funny, joking) nature of my counterpart, I eyed him the entire time they sang “Happy Birthday” in Spanish and then in English. He smiled a mischievous smile (I wish I could have gotten a picture of it) but he held back in the end. Some of you may say, “Oh, that’s no fun,” but seriously I just wanted to eat some icing. Basically, I was happy to not have a cake and icing facial. In the end, I was very happy that I let one of my host sisters take over the camera, because the resulting photos are priceless. I’ll certainly cherish the silly photos of kids stuffing their faces with cake.
Then, the following night I showed “Happy Feet 2” on my laptop, so I had another 15-20 people in my house. In short, I just had a wonderful weekend with my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment